Welcome to Apollo Class!
The adults that work in Apollo Class are Miss Freeman and Mrs Andrews
Our learning experience this half term is called Ice-Cream Dream.
To start their experience, the children will be exploring milk and its uses. This will be part of their Hook day where they will be completing a science experiment with milk, tasting foods containing milk, making butter by hand, investigating the dairy food chain and completing pastel art work. As the weeks progress children will learn what is involved in the successful marketing of a product and will also spend time analysing food packaging to identify successful features, which they will use to generate ideas for their own ice-cream packaging. They will then be able to use this learning to inform the marketing and sales pitch for their own ice-cream.
This term our PE day will be every Thursday morning and also alternating Tuesday/Wednesdays. On these days, please ensure that:
- Children have all of the correct kit in school.
- Long hair is tied back.
- (If possible) bring both trainers and daps so they have the appropriate footwear for both indoor and outdoor PE.
- Earrings are removed or taped over.
Maths homework will be given out on Fridays and due in the following Thursday. The spellings will also be given on the Friday and be tested on the following Friday. Your child should be able to complete this work independently as it will be based on work they have already done in class. Please do not hesitate to speak to us if you have any concerns.
Times table recall remains a focus this year and children will be tested weekly through ‘Times Table Olympics’ to ensure that their recall is quick and accurate. Times Table Rockstars is a great resource to support this and it can be accessed on laptops and tablets at home, as well as at school.
We are also encouraging all children to read at home; this needs to be recorded in the children's reading records. It is very important for the children to read regularly and understand their reading so that they can take the Accelerated Reader quizzes within school. When your child gets 85% or above in these quizzes, they are rewarded with a star which is put onto a class chart. We are aiming for 100 stars so that we can have a class treat!
The Hook for Ice Cream Dream:
On their hook day the children will be taking part in many activities linked to milk: These activities will include:
- Investigating the dairy food chain
- Completing a science experiment with milk
- Tasting food containing milk
- Making butter by hand
- Pastel art work
The Outcome for Ice Cream Dream:
The children will work together in groups to design, make and market their own flavour of ice-cream based on their own research. This will then be analysed and evaluated by the children.
Take home task for this term:
Choose from one, or even more of the following:
Otherwise, choose something of your own – get creative!
- Plan and design the survey to use to collect information about what makes people buy a particular ice-cream. Conduct the survey, gathering a range of people’s viewpoints and present it in the form of a chart, e.g. bar graph/pie chart
- Could you find a recipe and write instructions for how to make great ice-cream?
- Are there any stories which include an ice-cream? Could you write your own?
- Annotated photographs of design packaging, explaining what makes them powerful?
- A presentation or poster about famous ice-cream makers, such as ‘Ben and Jerry’?
Hand in date: Monday 14th October 2019
How you can support your child at home:
- Discuss the role and impact of advertising in the environment
- Talk to your child about what influences your purchases while shopping and collect packaging we can discuss in class – when designing our own!
- Learn times tables facts up to 12 x 12 and associated division facts.
- Ensure that your child reads at home daily and has the opportunity to discuss their reading with you. This will support their use of our ‘Accelerated Reader’ scheme.
- Help them to learn the spellings from the statutory year 5/6 word list.
- Support children in completing their Maths homework, encouraging independence where possible.
Photos, news and pieces of work will also be added regularly to this page so make sure to watch this space.
Thanks for visiting.
Don't forget to use the 'HIT THE BUTTON' website. Here you can:
- rehearse multiplication tables
- division facts
- square numbers
- factors and prime numbers